Monday, August 20, 2012

50 shades of what?


I read it. 50 Shades of Grey. Just the first book though, and that's probably as far as I'll go. Why did I read it? Curiosity was killing me, and I had to see what all the fuss was about. Everyone was reading it so when I was in The Warehouse, I made the $20 purchase. (I went to buy a wall planner and an exercise book but didn't get that far!) 

It took me about two weeks to read, simply because I didn't find it that exciting and it wasn't one of those books that I just couldn't put down. I thought we were moving into a society where men don't have as much dominance over women as they once did, but this book contradicts this. Love that Anastasia Steele is a journalist though, that made me smile. 

I assumed it would be a gorgeous love story with quite a lot of sex added to the mix, and it failed on the gorgeous love story bit. Maybe I'm too young and don't understand the background of it all. My mum is reading it (ew - I know, but I'm over it) and she has found it quite interesting. What? Interesting? Different backgrounds, different ages, and at a different stage of our lives are all things that affect how we all interpret something. 

Thoughts are that they are making a movie of it, and Ryan Gosling and Henry Cavill are the actors who are in the running to be Christian Grey. Who would you prefer? 

When I typed 50 Shades of Grey into Google, here's a few images of what came up.


This is definitely what Christian Grey looks like in my mind. 


Not so sure about Anastasia Steele?


And there's thousands of these. Some of them to rude to go on here, but I wonder if this works for anyone?

Have you read any of the books? Thoughts? Ryan Gosling or Henry Cavill as Christian Grey in the movie? Although I say it wasn't the best of reads, any publicity for the trilogy is good publicity. They'll make a movie, and I might even watch it. It intrigues me as to why someone would write a book with such graphic scenes, but E.L James, I suppose you have done well, and  it seems to be taking the older generation by storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment